The Prospectors & Golddiggers Club owns and maintains the historic Dr. Snapp House on South River Road, originally built in Slabtown in 1886. During Bohemia Mining Days the house will be open for tours led by Victorian-dressed members of the club.
WHEN: Saturday, July 15th, 2017 - 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
History of the House: Dr. G.O. Snapp was an early Cottage Grove doctor who built the house to serve as his residence and office. It has ornate gingerbread features and a tall spire. It is a one story house with an unfinished attic and 12.5 foot high ceilings.
An early advertisement in an 1899 issue of the Bohemia Nugget identifies him as a physician and surgeon, who also extracted teeth.
About 1900, Dr. Snapp sold the house to Mr. Markley who ran the saloon across the street. After the death of her husband, Mrs. Markley rented out rooms, often to county boys who attened high school in town. By 1940, her advancing years required Mrs. Markley to move to California to be near her son's family and the house became a rental until 1960, and was known as the Markley house.
The family sold the house to Mr. Warren Daugherty who sold it to Mrs. Ray Nelson and Mrs. Taylor Young, who used it as The Story Book House Gift Shop, located on River Road just south of Main Street.
In 1966, the Lane County Housing Authority purchased the property to build Riverview Terrace Apartments for low income seniors and arranged for the house's destruction in a "burn to learn" exercise for the fire department. The Bohemia Mining Days Committee of the Prospectors & Golddiggers Club purchased it for $1 and relocated it to its present site on South River Road next to Silk Creek.
The original vision for the house was to be part of a small village that included a replicas of a Victorian era mercantile and livery stable for residents and tourists to enjoy. Changes in state land use laws in the 1970's soon prohibited that type of intensive development in a flood zone and the Dr. Snapp House now stands alone next to Prospector Park, just a short walk from the popular swinging bridge across the river.
Today the Prospectors & Golddiggers Club has furnished the historic house with period furniture that was common when it belonged to Dr. Snapp. In 2010-11, with generous support from the community and local philanthropists, the P&G members rebuilt the porches. After the intense fire that consumed the historic barn next to the Old Mill Feed Store blistered the paint on the house's west wall, the group hired a professional painter (Cottage Grove Mayor Gary Williams) to repaint the house.
The Dr. Snapp House is open to the public during special events such as the Easter Egg Hunt, the BMD Festival, the Old Schoolmates Breakfast. It is particularly beautiful at Christmastime when the house is decked out in Victorian holiday finery for the club's annual Holiday Bazaar fundraiser.
It is also available for private use with the Club's permission for a fee. (Recently it was leased by a Seattle-area production company making a documentary on Jesse James.)
Info: call 541.942.2936.