Civil War
Encampment

Bohemia Mining Days welcomes the Civil War Reenactors who represent historical military units that were assigned to protect this area starting in the mid-1800s.  Stop by their camp in Trailhead Park to learn more about what life was like for these Americans in that era.

  • The Civilian Reenactors

    Demonstrates the daily chores ladies had to do and will be dressed in the clothing of the period.

  • The Cavalry Unit

    Demonstrates their equipment, weapons, and showing the horses.

  • The Artillery Unit

    Conducts firing demonstrations and loading drills.

The Civil War Encampment was organized for Bohemia Mining Days by Tom Warrick.  We thank him for his passion, his extensive knowledge, and his many years of reenactment experience.  It is through the efforts of these reenactors that this tragic chapter in United States history comes alive so all of us may appreciate the hardships and sacrifices made by these 19th Century Americans.

Unit Histories

For Civil War history buffs (and those who are just curious by nature) below is a history of the Cavalry and Artillery Units represented at the festival this year.  Click on a Unit to learn more about it.

1st Oregon Volunteer Calvary
Civil War Cavalry Reenactors

This unit was an important part of the State of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest’s history during the American Civil War.  The Federal regular troops stationed in the Pacific Northwest were called to duty on the East Coast at the start of The War.  The Lincoln Administration authorized the Oregon Governor to call up volunteers to form infantry and cavalry regiments.  These volunteer regiments were to maintain civil order in the state as well as the surrounding territories.  They were to provide protection to settlers, miners, and the Native American populations.  These regiments also blazed roads between the growing towns in the Pacific Northwest.  The 1st Oregon Volunteer Cavalry was stationed at several military posts throughout the Northwest including Fort Vancouver, Fort Lane, Fort Klamath, Walla Walla, Boise, and Watson.

2nd US Artillery
Civil War Artillery Unit Reeanactors

The 2nd US Artillery was first established on January 11, 1812.  They fought in four main battles during the War of 1812.  These battles were: Queenstown Heights on October 13, 1812, Fort George on May 27, 1813, Stoney Creek on June 6, 1813, and at Williamsburg Crysler's Fields on November 1813.  At the close of the war they were disband.

On March 21, 1821 the 2nd Field Artillery of the US regular army was established.  Originally headquartered at Governor’s Island in New York, they were moved south in 1827 to Savannah Georgia.  They were then ordered to Fort Marion, Florida; Fort Pike and St. Phillip, Louisiana.  The southern tour was long and active.  The stations of the companies were frequently changed because of sickness and for service in the Cherokee and Creek country in Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee.  In 1833, they were moved to Fort Mitchell in eastern Alabama.

On December 28, 1835 while moving to Fort King, Florida in response to the threat of a Seminole war, companies A, B, C and G were attacked by Seminoles under the command of Osceola.  The battle lasted several hours, and company C lost all its officers and all but two men as it took the brunt of the attack.  Companies A, B and G were given enough time to drive off the attacking warriors.  This was to be known as the Dade massacre.  The regiment saw hard fighting throughout Florida through 1836 and 1837.  By the Spring of 1838 the regiment lost 9 officers and 103 men.

Spring 1838, after 11 years of service in The South the unit was moved to Ross Landing in Tennessee to assist in the forceful removal of the Cherokee.  In July, they were moved to the Niagara Frontier on the Canadian border to enforce neutrality while the “Patriot War” was being fought in Canada.  This was Canada’s Civil War.

From 1839 to 1845, the regiment’s companies were spread out across the northern half of the US from Trenton, New Jersey to Fort Columbus, Ohio.  Fort Hamilton, Fort Lafayette, Fort Adams, and Fort Monroe also housed companies of the Second US Artillery.

With the onset of the Mexican War in 1845, the Second US Artillery took part in the battles of Matamorsa, Palo Alto, Resaca de la Palma, and Monterey.  The companies were assembled at Vera Cruz in 1847 for the reduction of the city and forts surrounding it.  They took heavy losses throughout the campaign at the battles of Churubusco, Molino del Rey, and Mexico City.

In June of 1848, at the conclusion of the war with Mexico, the regiment returned to the US to be spread out again from Fort Monroe, Fort McHenry, Bedlow’s Island, Fort Johnston, Fort Moultrie, Fort Macon, St. Augustine, and Savannah.  In 1849, most of the companies ended up back in Florida.

In 1855-1856, the Seminoles once again were at war and the Second US Artillery saw considerable fighting at Billy’s Town, Big Cypress swamp, Fort Deynard, Chocaliska, and the second battle of Big Cypress Swamp.  In December of 1856, the regiment was divided again and spread out across the troubled US.  Some companies were shuffled as far west as New Mexico to fight the Apaches in 1857.  Several companies were sent to Utah to help with the Mormon rebellion.

In 1861, with the secession of southern states, the Second US Artillery lost a large percentage of officers and men to the Southern cause.  This was a large blow to their efficiency and professional skills.  The remaining Officers and Non-Commissioned Officers worked with the new recruits and volunteers that soon filled their ranks.

In December 1861, Company “C” left Fort Independence, Maryland and sailed to familiar territory in Florida.  They arrived at Fort Pickens, Florida in January 1862.  In May 1862, they marched to Pensacola, Florida where they successfully bombarded and drove off Confederate forces on May 9.  They stayed in the Pensacola area until September 1, 1862 and moved to New Orleans the next day.  They occupied Camp Metairie Ridge until December 18 when they were moved to Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

They stayed at Baton Rouge until March of 1863, when they were moved to Assumption Parrish, Louisiana.  In April 1863, they marched to Posten Landing, Louisiana arriving on April 12, where they fought a five-hour battle with one killed and six wounded.  In the month of April, they covered over 175 miles as they marched and counter-marched near Port Hudson.

From May 23-31, they were under fire at the siege of Port Hudson.  They were rotated in and out of the siege lines throughout the month of June and July until Port Hudson fell to Federal forces.  On August 11, they returned to New Orleans where they stayed until November.  On November 3, they shifted to Baton Rouge and were stationed through March of 1864, not seeing any action.

In April 1864, they moved to Alexandria, Louisiana and in May they moved to Morganza, Louisiana.  By June 1864, they were on the move again, this time to Camp Barry, District of Columbia.  They went into the Camp Barry garrison until they were shipped from Fort McHenry, Maryland to the Presidio in San Francisco by way of Panama.  The arrived there on September 19,1865.

In October 1865, Company “C” of the 2nd US Artillery arrived at Fort Stevens, Oregon.  Except for short periods of time, after the purchase of Alaska, when the company was rotated in short stints of garrison duty in Sitka, Kodiak, Tongass, Wrangel, and Kenia.  Company “C”s main base was Fort Stevens, Oregon.  In January 1873 Company “C” was recalled to Fort McHenry, Maryland, ending the regiment’s presence on the West Coast.

The Festival

About Us

Contact Us

Call
541-942-5064
Call
Email
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.